Boppy loungers are a pretty convenient moveable bed to lay a baby in when they are awake. Most parents find them easy to use, especially when they need a hands-free moment for other things. It is also perfect to carry around during outdoor trips.
The boppy lounger is made with different fabrics and is available in different designs as well. There are some designs suitable for manual or machine wash while others cannot be washed and should be used with a protective cover.
We’ve explored several cleaning tips for boppy loungers, including hand and machine wash, and we outline them in this article so that you can learn how to wash boppy lounger.
How to Wash a Boppy Newborn Lounger
Method 1: Use Soapy Water
This method is quite simple and can be done in little time once you have the right tools and equipment.
Here’s what you will need:
- 2 clean microfiber cloths
- Hot water
- Warm water
- A spray bottle
- Washing soda or liquid soap
- A clean bowl
- Pour two cups of hot water into a spray bottle
- Mix in the liquid soap or washing soda with the hot water
- Shake the solution vigorously till it foams
- Spray this soapy solution on the dirty spots on the baby lounger
- Scrub at the spot with the microfiber cloth until it’s clean
- Pour some warm water into the clean bowl
- Soak the clean microfiber cloth in the warm water and clean up the soapy spots you just washed
Method 2: Use Baking Soda and Lemon
This second method is more effective on stubborn stains. You should clean out the lounger as soon as the stain happens or as soon as you notice it.
Here’s what you will need:
- A teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- A sponge
- A clean microfiber cloth
- A clean bowl
- Warm water
- Make a paste by mixing the lemon juice with baking soda
- Soak the microfiber cloth in some water until it’s wet
- Apply some of the paste to the boppy lounger
- Leave for 15-20 minutes to soak
- Scrub the dirty spot with the sponge
- If you notice the stains haven’t faded out, apply some more paste and repeat the cycle
- Wipe down the spot with the wet microfiber cloth to clean off any paste residue
This process takes time and might require more than one round to get out the stain. However, it is a great solution for tough and stubborn stains.
Method 3: Machine Wash Process
If your boppy lounger is machine washable (read the label), then you can follow this process. However, take note not to wash the lounger with other items as it could cause it to lose shape. You should also keep it on a slow wash, delicate cycle with some cold water.
Here’s what you will need:
- Soft laundry soap
- Place your newborn baby lounger in the washing machine
- Add some soft laundry soap to the machine
- Start washing the lounger on a gentle cycle with cold water
- Rinse out once it’s clean
- Remove it from the machine and put it in a dryer
- Add some dryer balls and leave it on a delicate spin
- You can also leave it hanging outside to air dry if you are not in a rush
It is commonly advised to air dry baby items if you can. However, a dryer works just fine too if you do not have the luxury of time.
How to Wash a Boppy Lounger Cover
If your boppy lounger has an extra cover, follow these steps to clean it out too:
- Unzip the lounger and remove the inner pillow
- Close the zip before proceeding to wash it to keep he zipper safe
- Wash the cover with your hands or with a machine
- Once it’s clean, you can spin it dry or leave it to air dry
How to Care for the Boppy Lounger
Asides from learning how to clean your boppy lounger, you should learn how to properly care for it. These steps will reduce the wash period and increase the usage period.
Sun-dry or Air dry it
Take out your lounger at least once a week when it is not in use. Leave it outside under the sunlight for a while. The rays of the sun can kill off the germs and bacteria on the lounger. Keeping it outside also allows it to aerate and give the lounger a fresh smell.
Use a homemade cover or blanket
Most boppy loungers don’t come with covers that are easy to change. A great method to keep out the stains is by using a homemade cover or an easy-to-wash blanket. Wrap your lounger in any of these two options and leave them on to absorb the dirt and stains.
Dust is an annoying substance that is annoying to keep out of no matter how hard you try. To make certain that your baby and their lounger are somewhat protected, you should correctly store the lounger when it is not in use. Fold it up correctly and store it in a covered bag. Keep in a dry place away from heat or water.
General Care Tips
- Do not feed your baby while they are in the boppy lounger. This is to avoid unwanted stains as well as health risks or complications.
- Keep your babies dressed at all times when the lounger is in use. This is to avoid them peeing or defecating in the lounger.
- Always keep a cover on the lounger at all times. While most designs can only be hand-washed, it is also not advisable to wash your lounger at a frequent rate. This can greatly reduce its life span.
- Wash out all stains or dirt as soon as you notice them. Make sure you wash your blankets and covers frequently.
- You can also use an antimicrobial spray for spot cleaning.
- Do not iron your boppy lounger.
- Do not dry clean your boppy lounger.
- Keep the lounger away from older kids or household pets.
Tips to Consider When Using a Boppy Lounger
- Keep your lounger clean at all times. You can include a pack of baby wipes somewhere in the covers to get out stains immediately.
- Do not remove the lounger tag. It contains safety information on how to prevent injuries or worse-case scenarios.
- Never leave your baby unattended while in the lounger. Always get an adult to supervise them if you are unavailable.
- Don’t use the lounger for crawling, walking, or for older babies. They can injure themselves or damage the lounger.
- Avoid your baby sleeping in the center to prevent suffocation. Pay attention that they aren’t sleeping face down too to avoid the risk of suffocation and infant deaths.
- Do not make use of a baby lounger in or near a space made out for the baby to sleep. This includes the baby crib, bed, playpen, bassinet, or cradle.
- Avoid moving the lounger while the baby is on it.
- Never use your lounger on an elevated surface. This can lead to the baby falling and sustaining unwanted or serious injuries. It is advisable to always use the boppy lounger on a flat surface or the floor.
FAQs on Boppy Loungers
What if my boppy lounger gets damaged in the washing machine?
In this situation, refer to the care instructions that are on the product tag. You can as well consult the care instructions page on the manual. If you are unable to figure out a solution on your own you should contact the brand’s customer support for further help.
You should also contact them if your notice the product is defective. Each brand comes with a different type of warranty to solve these issues.
Can the Boppy lounger be used as a baby bed?
No, it cannot. The bopper lounger is not an infant sleep product and is only suitable for use when the baby is awake. Do not leave your baby to sleep on the bopper lounger or its pillow. This can lead to positional asphyxia or in severe cases death.
How long does a lounger take to dry?
An average common period to dry out the lounger should be around thirty minutes to one hour. This is when it is in a dryer. If you’re leaving your lounger and its pillow outside to air dry that could take hours. You want to make sure that both objects are completely dry before assembling them again.
Using a slightly dry or wet lounger can arise in health complications for your baby or you. This is because mold and bacteria can freely breed in the lounger.
How often do I need to wash my lounger?
Most brands recommend that you only wash the lounger when it is necessary. This is because frequent washing can damage the shape of the lounger or its lifespan. Frequent wash can also lead to wear and tear making it unsuitable for use. You should always use your boppy lounger with a washable blanket or wipeable cover.
How to wash boppy lounger should be easier and completed in no time with the methods and steps shared above. You also don’t have to worry about damages or your lounger losing shape with these methods.
Remember to always keep the lounger clean. Make use of a cover, blanket, or homemade cover to keep the lounger clean and protected. Wash out the covers frequently too to avoid breeding germs and bacteria that can affect your baby’s health.